Evernote has lengthy been the go-to utility for taking notes, monitoring paperwork, organizing tasks, and customarily being the place to place something you would possibly wish to discover later.
Nonetheless, in the previous couple of years, Evernote’s status has suffered as a result of an getting old interface, elevated charges, a sequence of layoffs, and a brand new CEO. Whereas there are not any indications that the applying goes away any time quickly, and it nonetheless boasts (in response to most accounts) a pair hundred million customers, it doesn’t harm to have a plan B in place in case you determine it’s time to bail.
Fortunately, there are a selection of purposes resembling Microsoft OneNote, Zoho Pocket book, Simplenote, and Google Maintain that want to compete because the place so that you can preserve your ideas, concepts, and different stuff. On this article, we’re going to inform you how (or if) you’ll be able to migrate your Evernote information to one among these purposes.
Nonetheless, whether or not or not you propose to modify, it’s a good suggestion to know tips on how to export your information, if solely to have an unbiased backup of that data, simply in case.
Methods to export your Evernote information
Evernote enables you to divide your notes into separate notebooks. Once you export your information, every pocket book have to be exported right into a separate file in Evernote’s .enex format (you too can export to an HTML file in order for you).
You’ll be able to solely export information utilizing the Evernote native utility for PCs or Macs; you’ll be able to’t do it from the web model. To strive it out, I used a Mac on which I’d put in model 7.9 of Evernote. Right here is the way you proceed; the method for a PC may be very comparable.
- Click on on Notebooks in Evernote’s left-hand menu or choose View > Pocket book from the highest menu. This gives you a list of all of your Evernote notebooks in the primary window.
- Choose which pocket book(s) you wish to export. (If you wish to export your total Evernote file, then choose all of them.)
- Proper click on on the chosen pocket book(s) and select “Export Notes from ‘NotebookName.’” You may as well go to the highest menu and choose File > Export Notes.
- Within the pop-up window, sort within the title you wish to give your export file and choose the folder during which you wish to reserve it. You may as well determine whether or not you wish to export the related tags (assuming you used any). Click on on Save.
Now you’ve received your information, the place do you wish to put it? I’ve take a look at 4 of the best-known Evernote options — Microsoft OneNote, Zoho Pocket book, Simplenote, and Google Maintain — to seek out out the simplest option to transfer your information to every (assuming you’ll be able to). Two of them, OneNote and Pocket book, provide importers to make issues so simple as potential for you. Simplenote gives a reasonably easy option to import your .enex information when you’ve exported them from Evernote. And Maintain… properly… not gonna occur.
Microsoft OneNote is probably the applying most in comparison with Evernote, and Microsoft has taken benefit of that by providing very express directions, and by offering its customers with an importer to make issues as straightforward as potential.
There may be one exception: In case you are utilizing the Evernote shopper on a Mac, and also you downloaded your model of Evernote from the Mac App Retailer relatively than from Evernote’s website, you gained’t be capable to use the importer to routinely import your information immediately. As an alternative, you’ll have to use the hyperlink within the importer (see beneath) that helps you import your Evernote .enex information.
Nonetheless, assuming you might have the proper model:
- Go to the web page “Making the transfer from Evernote to OneNote” and obtain the importer. (In keeping with the web page, it’s going to work for PCs with Home windows 7 or later, or Macs with OS X El Capitan 10.11 or later.)
- Make it possible for your desktop copy of Evernote is closed. In any other case, the importer will merely inform you that you simply’ve efficiently put in it, however gained’t go any additional.
- The importer then goes to work, creating .enex information for every of your notebooks (however not downloading them to your OneNote account).
- The importer will then ask you to decide on which notebooks you wish to choose. The entire notebooks are routinely chosen, however you’ll be able to select particular ones as properly. If there was an issue with the import, there’s a hyperlink that can show you how to import your individual .enex file.
- In the event you haven’t signed in to OneNote, you’ll be requested to take action. In any other case, click on on Import.
- As soon as it’s completed, you’ll be notified of any notes that did not import. Within the case of OneNote, it is not going to import reminders or encrypted content material.
In my case, the transfer to OneNote labored properly; every Evernote pocket book was moved to a OneNote pocket book, and all my PDFs, pictures, textual content, and different content material (excluding one reminder) had been instantly recognizable. As a result of OneNote divides its notebooks into tabbed folders, and Evernote doesn’t, most of my new OneNote notebooks had one tab. Nonetheless, one which had 114 notes was divided into three tabs; I’m unsure why.
Zoho Pocket book
Zoho additionally makes it quite simple emigrate your Evernote information. You’ll be able to import the info into Zoho’s iOS, Android, or macOS shoppers, or utilizing the web model (I used this final). Alongside the best way, Zoho has a number of warnings about being affected person due to Evernote’s quirks, nevertheless, I had no issue.
- In Zoho Pocket book, click on on “Settings” within the right-hand menu.
- Within the Settings window, scroll right down to “Migrate from Evernote” close to the underside of the listing.
- The following web page is a warning to be affected person till all Evernote’s information is migrated into Zoho Pocket book, and an assurance that Zoho will ship you an e mail to sign that the migration is full.
- You’re then taken to your Evernote account (and requested to log in should you’re not), the place you must authorize Zoho to entry your account. You’ll be able to select the size of the authorization, as much as a yr; I selected a day. The migration course of then begins.
- Sadly, I didn’t see any method to decide on particular notebooks and I’ve a lot of content material in my Evernote account. Consequently, I received the e-mail telling me that the migration was full about 15 hours later.
As with OneNote, Zoho Pocket book was capable of necessary all my Evernote content material and, from what I used to be capable of inform, replicate my pocket book construction properly. The one distinction was that, not like Evernote, there have been no “stacked” folders.
Simplenote is, as its title implies, a a lot less complicated be aware utility that’s nonetheless on many “better of” lists. Nonetheless, the method of transferring from Evernote to Simplenote isn’t fairly so easy.
To start with, you’ll be able to’t import into the web app, however want to make use of the Mac or PC model. And as soon as once more, Mac customers are at a slight drawback: The model of Simplenote that you simply obtain from the Mac App Retailer doesn’t assist importing. It’s essential use a model that’s accessible on the Github website. (This may be particularly complicated because the Mac App Retailer hyperlink is the one which’s on Simplenote’s major web page.)
So assuming that you simply’re utilizing a Mac, and haven’t put in Simplenote but:
- Go to the Github website. Scroll down till you see the Simplenote-macOS-1.5.0.dmg file. (The model quantity could change.)
- Click on on the hyperlink and obtain the file. Set up it to your Mac.
- Go to the app menu, choose File > Import Notes from the app menu. You may be supplied the selection of importing Simplenote, Evernote, or plain textual content information.
- On the subsequent display screen, it is possible for you to to both drag your .enex file into the Import field, or click on on the field and choose the file. The import will then start.
In contrast to OneNote and Zoho Pocket book, you can not import a couple of pocket book at a time, and since Simplenote doesn’t use a pocket book format, your pocket book categorizations will disappear. One option to get round that is to create tags for every pocket book earlier than you export them from Evernote; you’ll be able to import the tags and seek for every set of notes in Simplenote that method.
Simplenote additionally doesn’t import pictures or different media, so should you’ve been utilizing Evernote to gather enterprise card pictures or different pictures, you’re out of luck.
Google Maintain is a quite simple and helpful be aware utility — should you begin it from scratch. There may be at present no option to transfer information from Evernote (or another app) to Google Maintain, even should you needed to.
It’s all the time troublesome to get used to a brand new utility if you’ve invested numerous time, effort, and content material in a single resembling Evernote. However should you can simply transfer from one app to the opposite — as you’ll be able to with not less than three of those pocket book apps — then the toughest half is taken care of.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These don’t affect editorial content material, although Vox Media could earn commissions for merchandise bought by way of affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, see our ethics coverage.