Evernote has lengthy been the go-to utility for taking notes, monitoring paperwork, organizing initiatives, and usually being the place to place something you would possibly wish to discover later.
Nevertheless, in the previous few years, Evernote’s fame has suffered resulting from an growing old interface, elevated charges, a sequence of layoffs, and a brand new CEO. Whereas there are not any indications that the appliance goes away any time quickly, and it nonetheless boasts (in keeping with most accounts) a pair hundred million customers, it doesn’t harm to have a plan B in place in case you resolve it’s time to bail.
Fortunately, there are a selection of purposes akin to Microsoft OneNote, Zoho Pocket book, Simplenote, and Google Preserve that need to compete because the place so that you can preserve your ideas, concepts, and different stuff. On this article, we’re going to inform you how (or if) you may migrate your Evernote knowledge to certainly one of these purposes.
Nevertheless, whether or not or not you propose to modify, it’s a good suggestion to know easy methods to export your knowledge, if solely to have an unbiased backup of that data, simply in case.
export your Evernote knowledge
Evernote allows you to divide your notes into separate notebooks. Whenever you export your knowledge, every pocket book have to be exported right into a separate file in Evernote’s .enex format (you can even export to an HTML file in order for you).
You possibly can solely export knowledge utilizing the Evernote native utility for PCs or Macs; you may’t do it from the net model. To attempt it out, I used a Mac on which I’d put in model 7.9 of Evernote. Right here is the way you proceed; the method for a PC may be very comparable.
- Click on on Notebooks in Evernote’s left-hand menu or choose View > Pocket book from the highest menu. This provides you with a list of all of your Evernote notebooks in the principle window.
- Choose which pocket book(s) you wish to export. (If you wish to export your whole Evernote file, then choose all of them.)
- Proper click on on the chosen pocket book(s) and select “Export Notes from ‘NotebookName.’” You may also go to the highest menu and choose File > Export Notes.
- Within the pop-up window, sort within the title you wish to give your export file and choose the folder wherein you wish to reserve it. You may also resolve whether or not you wish to export the related tags (assuming you used any). Click on on Save.
Now you’ve received your knowledge, the place do you wish to put it? I’ve take a look at 4 of the best-known Evernote alternate options — Microsoft OneNote, Zoho Pocket book, Simplenote, and Google Preserve — to search out out the simplest method to transfer your knowledge to every (assuming you may). Two of them, OneNote and Pocket book, supply importers to make issues so simple as doable for you. Simplenote provides a reasonably easy method to import your .enex recordsdata when you’ve exported them from Evernote. And Preserve… properly… not gonna occur.
Microsoft OneNote is maybe the appliance most in comparison with Evernote, and Microsoft has taken benefit of that by providing very express directions, and by offering its customers with an importer to make issues as simple as doable.
There may be one exception: If you’re utilizing the Evernote consumer on a Mac, and also you downloaded your model of Evernote from the Mac App Retailer relatively than from Evernote’s web site, you gained’t have the ability to use the importer to robotically import your knowledge immediately. As a substitute, you’ll have to use the hyperlink within the importer (see beneath) that helps you import your Evernote .enex recordsdata.
Nevertheless, assuming you’ve gotten the proper model:
- Go to the web page “Making the transfer from Evernote to OneNote” and obtain the importer. (In accordance with the web page, it would work for PCs with Home windows 7 or later, or Macs with OS X El Capitan 10.11 or later.)
- Ensure that your desktop copy of Evernote is closed. In any other case, the importer will merely inform you that you just’ve efficiently put in it, however gained’t go any additional.
- The importer then goes to work, creating .enex recordsdata for every of your notebooks (however not downloading them to your OneNote account).
- The importer will then ask you to decide on which notebooks you wish to choose. The entire notebooks are robotically chosen, however you may select particular ones as properly. If there was an issue with the import, there’s a hyperlink that may assist you to import your individual .enex file.
- When you haven’t signed in to OneNote, you’ll be requested to take action. In any other case, click on on Import.
- As soon as it’s completed, you’ll be notified of any notes that didn’t import. Within the case of OneNote, it won’t import reminders or encrypted content material.
In my case, the transfer to OneNote labored properly; every Evernote pocket book was moved to a OneNote pocket book, and all my PDFs, pictures, textual content, and different content material (except for one reminder) had been instantly recognizable. As a result of OneNote divides its notebooks into tabbed folders, and Evernote doesn’t, most of my new OneNote notebooks had one tab. Nevertheless, one which had 114 notes was divided into three tabs; I’m unsure why.
Zoho Pocket book
Zoho additionally makes it quite simple emigrate your Evernote knowledge. You possibly can import the information into Zoho’s iOS, Android, or macOS shoppers, or utilizing the net model (I used this final). Alongside the best way, Zoho has a number of warnings about being affected person due to Evernote’s quirks, nonetheless, I had no issue.
- In Zoho Pocket book, click on on “Settings” within the right-hand menu.
- Within the Settings window, scroll all the way down to “Migrate from Evernote” close to the underside of the listing.
- The subsequent web page is a warning to be affected person till all Evernote’s knowledge is migrated into Zoho Pocket book, and an assurance that Zoho will ship you an electronic mail to sign that the migration is full.
- You’re then taken to your Evernote account (and requested to log in for those who’re not), the place it’s a must to authorize Zoho to entry your account. You possibly can select the size of the authorization, as much as a yr; I selected a day. The migration course of then begins.
- Sadly, I didn’t see any means to decide on particular notebooks and I’ve a lot of content material in my Evernote account. Because of this, I received the e-mail telling me that the migration was full about 15 hours later.
As with OneNote, Zoho Pocket book was capable of necessary all my Evernote content material and, from what I used to be capable of inform, replicate my pocket book construction properly. The one distinction was that, not like Evernote, there have been no “stacked” folders.
Simplenote is, as its title implies, a a lot less complicated observe utility that’s nonetheless on many “better of” lists. Nevertheless, the method of transferring from Evernote to Simplenote isn’t fairly so easy.
To start with, you may’t import into the net app, however want to make use of the Mac or PC model. And as soon as once more, Mac customers are at a slight drawback: The model of Simplenote that you just obtain from the Mac App Retailer doesn’t assist importing. It’s essential to use a model that’s accessible on the Github web site. (This may be particularly complicated because the Mac App Retailer hyperlink is the one which’s on Simplenote’s important web page.)
So assuming that you just’re utilizing a Mac, and haven’t put in Simplenote but:
- Go to the Github web site. Scroll down till you see the Simplenote-macOS-1.5.0.dmg file. (The model quantity could change.)
- Click on on the hyperlink and obtain the file. Set up it to your Mac.
- Go to the app menu, choose File > Import Notes from the app menu. You can be supplied the selection of importing Simplenote, Evernote, or plain textual content recordsdata.
- On the following display, it is possible for you to to both drag your .enex file into the Import field, or click on on the field and choose the file. The import will then start.
In contrast to OneNote and Zoho Pocket book, you can’t import a couple of pocket book at a time, and since Simplenote doesn’t use a pocket book format, your pocket book categorizations will disappear. One method to get round that is to create tags for every pocket book earlier than you export them from Evernote; you may import the tags and seek for every set of notes in Simplenote that means.
Simplenote additionally doesn’t import pictures or different media, so for those who’ve been utilizing Evernote to gather enterprise card pictures or different photographs, you’re out of luck.
Google Preserve is a quite simple and helpful observe utility — for those who begin it from scratch. There may be presently no method to transfer knowledge from Evernote (or every other app) to Google Preserve, even for those who needed to.
It’s all the time troublesome to get used to a brand new utility if you’ve invested loads of time, effort, and content material in a single akin to Evernote. However for those who can simply transfer from one app to the opposite — as you may with not less than three of those pocket book apps — then the toughest half is taken care of.
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These don’t affect editorial content material, although Vox Media could earn commissions for merchandise bought through affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, see our ethics coverage.